Monday, April 28, 2008

A very musical few days

Finals for musicians means a lot of concerts and recitals. These past few weeks have been full of junior and senior recitals, and now it's studio recital time. On Friday our Big Band played; they are really good! I heard a little of their concert- so I could hear Dane's trombone solo- and I was surprised at how good they sounded.
Saturday was Centralhallapalooza- for some reason that's what our student activities board decided to name a campus party under a big tent with five favorite school bands ;) I stayed for Nickel Creek (Dunn Right), because they are amazing. Megan Dunn, who lives in Olds, plays the fiddle and sings; Jason Custer plays the guitar; and Jeff Meyers plays the mandolin and sings. They, of course, do Nickel Creek covers- and they are darn good at them too. Sweet Afton has to be my favorite; maybe that's because it was written and set to music by Robert Burns? :) And sung by either Sean Watkins (NC) or Jeff if it's NC Dunn Right.
Sunday was our choir concert, and my favorite part was hearing the chamber choir sing. They have the purest sound and sing the most challenging music- sometimes I hold my breath while they're singing. They sang a French song, a Gaelic song, a British folk song, and a hymn on Sunday, and they were all beautiful.
Sunday night was Natalie's violin studio recital. She played a Paganini piece and did a great job. :)
Today was my Armenian/Gypsy/Jewish friend Ben's violin recital. Obviously, with such a heritage, he is pretty great at playing, especially anything that sounds eastern european.
Tomorrow is my voice recital... aaah! I'm singing Danza, Danza, Fancuila Gentile by Franceso Durante- it's a little Italian arietta from a 17th century opera. It's fun and it practically sings itself, but I'm still nervous! I'm going to practice with Natalie now..

2 comments:

Kristina said...

What musical wonderfulness! :) Wish you could have heard Mahler with us last night - you'd have loved it.

Kat said...

Sounds like a wonderful time. How lovely to hear and participate in these musical performances! I wish I could be there to hear you sing today.

Your visit is coming up soon!! Hoorah. It seems like SO long since we've had a visit where we can have a little bit of unhurried girltime. :) Can't wait.

Love you cousin. ~'::