Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Memory Verse

I just picked up John Piper's wonderful book When I Don't Desire God again the other day, and I was so encouraged about ways I can "let the Word of Christ dwell in [me] richly." I'm in the chapter on reading the Word, and Pastor Piper strongly advises memorizing scripture. I realized that would be the perfect way to have it always in my mind, and to remind me of the One who is much more important than any paper or reading assignment or even good time with my suitemates.
It was hard to choose a verse to start with, but I finally settled on Philippians 3:1-3:
"Finally, my brethren, rejoice in the Lord.
For me to write the same things is not tedious, but for you it is safe.
Beware of dogs, beware of evil workers, beware of mutilation!
For we are the circumcision, who worship God in the Spirit, rejoice in Christ Jesus, and have no confidence in the flesh..."

No comments: