Sunday, May 23, 2010

A train of thought not entirely random



I just finished the BBC version of Emma. As lazy as I feel watching a movie during the daytime, I have to say it's awfully good not to have to do anything. I'm also reading The Law for homework, and it's astonishingly astute and engaging. But I got to spend a few hours with Mr. Knightly. He is so gentlemanly and so wonderful. Whoever I marry will be a gentleman like him. My Daddy made sure I'd be satisfied with no less. :-)

Thinking of men makes me think of Matt Chandler (a pastor Ian told me about) and his wonderful teaching on Biblical manhood, which makes me think of living Biblically in general. It is too easy to get comfortable being as I am, I realize, even when I've just moved to a new place. I think of my own interests and not the interests of others.

I passed by a homeless man begging outside of Starbucks today, and the first thing out of my mouth was, "I'm sorry, I don't have anything." As I walked into the coffee shop, it struck me how false that really was. While I ought to be wise with how I care for homeless people, it's not a reason to completely disregard every one of them. I could have asked him if he needed some food; or I could have supplied him with endless satisfaction by asking if he knew the Lord. It was a busy street with lots of people around and inside the store, so I would surely be safe sitting across the little table from him and asking that. But it is so hard to shift gears and think of myself as a servant, not the served. Because I am always being served.

I'm not about to go looking for homeless men to chill with, but I have been wondering how to be Jesus' hands and feet here. Maybe it is among the NJC interns and the Times newsroom. Matt Chandler says Epaphroditus in Ephesians heard the gospel, went home to share it with his town, and through his enthusiastic love for God's glory planted the Colossian church. Where is my faith to "speak boldly, as I ought to speak"?

Pray for me, that boldness may be given to me in the Spirit, that I may speak as I ought to. I love my Savior, and I want to have too much zeal for His name to let it go unknown where I am. This is going to be a good summer, and I hope to leave the people I meet a little different than they are right now.

No comments: