Friday, May 21, 2010

Them Sobbin' Women

(photo by Rachel Duke)

Would you like to know what Rachel and I do in our free time? On our long walks from on museum to another, to the Press Club, to the Metro?

We sing Seven Brides For Seven Brothers.

I can't count the number of times in one week one of us has sung, all of a sudden, in a fake baritone, "Tell you 'bout them sobbin' women, who lived in the Roman days..." or, in the middle of a quiet hustle, turned to the other one and said, "But secretly they was overjoyed!" Also, at one point Rachel started singing "Goin' Courtin' " last night while we walked with her friend Jeff to celebrate our first day of work. I think he may or may not have pretended he didn't hear it.

We also quote movies. Obscure movie quotes that most people don't instinctively pick up on. The other day, as we crossed the street, I said in a really dumb Spanish accent, "I am too young to die!" and Rachel said, "I have my whole life ahead of me!" Seriously, how many people would have known instinctively that I was quoting the second Zorro movie?! So now every once in a while (like, once an hour if we're touring or sitting near each other) Rachel says, "I am too young to die!"

Yesterday evening we relaxed to the Beauty and the Beast soundtrack. It was marvelous. :)

All I have to say is, everyone at the Times is going to think we are nuts. And maybe we're right. But we've got nine weeks to change the world, so a little ridiculousness keeps us ready to go do that! (The last two weeks are for cleanup.)

Sleep sweet. :)

1 comment:

Melissa said...

This made me smile! It is very happy to share space and time and walks and museums with someone who just KNOWS when to burst into 'Goin' Courtin'. I totally get this.