Monday, January 18, 2010

Meditating on the elliptical?


26 "Therefore I run thus: not with uncertainty. Thus I fight: not as one who beats the air. 27 But I discipline my body and bring it into subjection, lest, when I have preached to others, I myself should become disqualified."

~1 Corinthians 9:26-27


Today I tried combining two things I want to make a daily part of my life: exercise and scripture memory & meditation. Usually when I run or work out, I want music to keep me upbeat and keep up my pace; and I did put on some KT Tunstall at about a mile and a half to pump up my energy. :) But today for the first half of my workout I kept my (bright neon!) index cards with Psalm 119:1-16 written on them in front of me.

Like mediating on a certain passage while I run, memorizing turns my heart to Jesus, who bore the greatest suffering for me and submitted His body even to death. I'm beginning to find that meditating and memorizing give me the motivation I need to keep going, to discipline my body.

"He who has suffered in the flesh has ceased from sin...." Not that I think a tough hill at mile three is really what Paul means, but I do really think that the more disciplined my body is and the less I listen to its desires, the more willing I will be to deny myself and listen to Jesus. If I can keep running when I feel completely out of strength, maybe someday I will keep going when it means much more than a good workout. If I can persevere through the temptation of an order of french fries or a cold coca-cola, I will be more able to deny other temptations that come my way.

Ultimately I want my dedication to fitness to be a reflection and outpouring of my love for Jesus. I want to carry around in me the death of Jesus, proclaiming it till He comes, and identify with His death. I also want to take good care of the body and life He gave me to use, and I can do that by being healthy.

"So whether you eat or drink, or whatever you do, do it all for the glory of God."

3 comments:

Kristina Elseth said...

Oh you SO testify to the reason I love to run, there at the end! What an encouragement you are. :) I know JUST what I'm going to do on that stairclimber next time I'm at 24, or tonight up on the bike. Thank you again for the inspiration! xo

Michal said...

I know! Isn't it a wonderful feeling? :-) I'm so glad to be learning it! You've been such a model and encouragement to me. :-*

Mom B. said...

Dearest,
What a wonderfu visual and even more wonderful testimony to living out who we say we are! I haven't been running (or even walking) due to major hip/leg pain BUT I listen to the Bible on CD from your family while I'm in the car and often listen, repeat, listen, repeat as it cements in my mind where I can say Psalm 19 is all I ever need to know.Thanks for sharing - P.S. The Afternoon Tea Book? Too precious - I simply must send you a piece about cakes in the oven having their own personality. Thanks again. I love you so! Grammy