Thursday, August 9, 2007

Encouragements

This morning I logged onto facebook, kind of hoping to have a message, and found instead that two of my friends had posted notes (which is like a blog post for facebook). They weren't friends I know extremely well; one I had a class with, and one I dance with at swing club but otherwise see only across the hall. But their notes looked good, so I read them, and I am glad I did!

Paul Mueller's note was about Romans 14:5-8 and how he has been convicted to delete his copied music from his computer because, since he doesn't know for sure if it is wrong or not, to him it is a sin to have that music. Well, that applied both directly and indirectly to me. It's hard not to take the songs that friends email to me at school, or copy onto my computer so we can listen to them while we are together, and I've been especially avoiding deleting Hey There Delilah, which Amy emailed to me. But I can't keep any of it any longer, because for me it is a sin. I know it.
Paul Mueller's note also said this, which really made me think: "Am I really walking in a life of simple, humble faith or am I living for myself and using God’s words to back up my own ambitions and vanity?" If I am walking in a life of humble faith, then it is going to take over every part of that life, including music. I was challeneged and encouraged to be reminded of my obligation as a follower of Christ to obey in everything.

Shannon's note was about the cross- about Matthew 16:24, “If anyone would come after Me, he must deny himself and take up his cross and follow Me.” She wrote that Christians these days tend to live as if the cross was a small thing with little importance or authority in our lives, as though it changes nothing. But, she pointed out, for the early disciples, taking up their cross meant death to their former life and their own desires. They knew that they could die for following Jesus, and they still chose to die to the world, because they were called to follow Jesus.

I thought, as I read these friends' words, how blessed I am to have such friends. My life should reflect Christ in everything the same way theirs does, but I forget this alot. I want to obey in everything, though. I am deleting my copied music right now, and I am praying that I always reflect Christ in my life.

No comments: