Saturday, July 25, 2009

Playing Catch-up

Well, I didn't mean to not blog for so long! It's just been a busy couple weeks since getting home from Holland. I've been riding my horsy buddy Mason, who's been doing great. I love that horse. I've also been catching up with friends, doing some odd jobs for mom, going to the gym, and generally not building up writing experience like I was supposed to.
Sorry, Tracy. Sorry, Ingrid. They're the ones who let me into the journalism program. But how do you get involved covering local news when you're home only for a few weeks at a time? Now we're in Minnesota, and when we get home from here, I'll only be home for maybe six more days before I'm off to Michigan for MB's wedding!! Where did the time go? Have I actually been home? It's not that I haven't wanted to blog or write for the newspaper. Ask Mom: I randomly pull out scraps of paper and even receipts, scribble notes on current events, and stick them back in my purse. Where they stay.
One thing I've been wanting to write about is how the Oregon government has been dealing with big state issues this summer. There are numerous problems that need addressing, like homelessness and meth addicts and roads that are falling apart. Not to mention that Oregon has just risen above Michigan in unemployment at over 12.2% now, making it the state with the highest unemployment rate in the country.
So what does the Oregon state legislature do? They pass a bill naming the crab Oregon's state crustacean, a move that cost taxpayers thousands of dollars, and rename a Portland street in honor of Cesar Chavez, a farmer who co-founded United Farm Workers. I'm happy for Mr. Chavez, but what about the unemployed people and the homeless living near the recently renamed street? It's time for some real hard work to be done across the river, guys. What you do affects my state, too.
On a happier note, we spent the day in Itasca State Park and it was lovely!! Pictures to come. When I get home (guess who didn't bring a camera cord!). We even saw a loon, which made the day complete.


No comments: